Monday, October 22, 2007

Ali's Challenge 4 - Beads and Glaze

From Ali:

This week's challenge is to play with Diamond Glaze + glass beads.For many of you, as it was for me, this may be your first time experimenting with either Diamond Glaze and/or glass beads. I was attending a stamping show recently and picked up the beads as something cool I knew I wanted to try down the road.Since I grabbed a little jar of black glass beads I figured a Halloween project would be the perfect chance to play.

For Halloween this year I am going to put together an acrylic mini- book. This one is from Picture It/Page Frame and here's a list on online stores carrying this brand: http://www.scrapbookframe.com/ stores/online.shtml.The cover consists of a large web rub-on from Hambly, an intricate sticker from Narratives, the glass beads + Diamond Glaze combo on the bottom, and chipboard letters from Heidi Swapp.



Here's a close up look at what the glass beads + Diamond Glaze looks like when dry. Notice the lumps + bumps? It doesn't have to be this way, but I was ok with the result. A combination of my first time experimenting and not really caring if it was imperfect and lumpy and bumpy (also goes along with Halloween even more).


Here's a look at what you need to play: glass beads + Diamond Glaze (or some other dimensional adhesive - I also use Ranger's Glossy Accents).

Hard to totally see in this photo but these are literally little glass beads (rather than a fine powder such as glitter).

Here's an example of how you go about adhering the beads to your background. The blue sheet here is a piece of acrylic (with the backing left on the bottom so you could see where I was working). If you are wondering who makes acrylic sheets like this the company is called Grafix and they call the product: Plastic Craft Sheet.

Start out by defining the area you want your beads to adhere too. One of the cool things about Diamond Glaze (or Glossy Accents) is that you can actually set the area you want the adhesive to cover and it won't bleed (unless you pick it up and move it around).

Here's my defined area. On the album itself I adhered the rub on first and then used that as a guide for the bottom section. The thin tip is great for letting out just the right amount.

Here is the area filled in with Diamond Glaze. You can use your fingers to move it around and fill in the entire area.


Here is where I remembered that you shouldn't pick it up and tilt it - you can see now that my first example went outside the lines. Round two :).


After defining your area dump the glass beads directly onto the Diamond Glaze. Here I did just a sprinkling as an example but on the album I used a whole lot more to achieve the super thick layer I was after.Now let it sit (this is always the hardest part for me). It takes a bit for it to dry - I actually just put mine aside and let it sit over night. Now it is super solid.








Note from Jennifer: Stay tuned... the "regular" designers will post layouts on Wednesday morning. There is some fun stuff in there, so come on back!

18 comments:

Emily Pitts said...

um wow! this should be fun. i like the i have two weeks. :) glass beads doesn't necessarily mean the micro beads right?

Anonymous said...

I won't be able to participate in this challenge, because I have neither of the supplies and I am on a spending freeze until Christmas. Bummer, it looks like fun. I look forward to seeing what others come up with though!

Anonymous said...

That's so very cool. And I just happen to have a big pile of delicas looking for a home ...

Cat said...

Good times!! I love your lumpy, bumpy results-very fitting for the holiday!

Jennifer said...

I think any little bead-type things and adhesive will work.

Cindy Tobey said...

Super cool! Love this technique and can't wait to try it!

Anonymous said...

This is very cool, really want to try it! I like how yours turned out lumpy...makes it seem more realistic.

Karen Bowers said...

cool tutorial! are seed beads and glass beads the same things?

AnilĂș Magloire said...

Those beads look like tons of fun!

bcgal00 Rae said...

Emily - I think that any teeny small beads work great. I use whatever I can find. They will all stick to the glue. This is a fun technique. I do a lot of flowers wtih this stuff.

Elisabeth said...

oh fun, I love using this technique, count me in!!!

Unknown said...

Looks like tons of fun and I cant wait to give it a try!
Thanks for the tutorial :)

Debra Aungst said...

Looking forward to playing with this technique - have a few things swimming around my head!

Anonymous said...

Love the technique. Thanks for the inspiration, must try it soon-- Priya

Alisa Noble said...

This was definately a fun one!

http://lifeisabeautifulplacetobe.blogspot.com/2007/10/method-playground-challenge-glaze-and.html

Thanks so much

Anonymous said...

I've been looking at this trying to figure out how to do it for a week now and DING, the light bulb FINALLY blinked on! This is definately a technique I'll be incorporating in my scrapbooking and cardmaking. Thank you so much for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

Anonymous said...

Please, give me link to download XRumer 7.0!!!
Thanks!

Always yours,
miss MW